Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Corn Salad

One of the things I love about summer is all the BBQ's I get invited to.  I usually offer to bring a dish and my mother's summer corn salad is always a big hit.  The best part, aside from the taste, is that it's so easy to make.  Here's a picture from the last time I made this salad:



Here's the recipe:

Thea's Summer Corn Salad
1 can black beans, drained
1 can white corn, drained (don't use yellow corn, it's not as sweet as white corn)
1 avocado, diced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

Marinade:
3 to 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

I usually rinse the beans and corn before I add them to the bowl but it's not required.  I also tend to add more avocado's and less red onion and cilantro since I don't love those flavors.  I'd also recommend making the salad a few hours before serving so that the marinade can really get into the ingredients before you serve it.  I serve mine with a bag of tortilla chips for dipping but the salad is good on its own as a side dish and as a topping for hamburgers.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made this for our beach crowd this week. Thx for the recipe. It was a hit.

    ReplyDelete