Thursday, April 1, 2010

Weekend Roadtrip to LA

I recently went on a roadtrip to LA with some friends and got to see family, friends and try some new restaurants.  The first restaurant we ate at was Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Hollywood.  I've heard a lot of people talk about this place and how good it was but I'd never tried it.  I can now say I've eaten there and the waffles are tasty!

Here's a picture of my waffle plate (the "Natalie's Special" is just two waffles, I was scared to try the chicken):

People who know me well know that I don't usually eat a lot but I finished my entire plate!  The waffles have a slight cinnamon taste and are light and fluffy, which is unusual for a waffle.  I washed my Natalie Special down with one of Roscoe's specialty drinks, the Sunset.  It's a combination of fresh squeezed lemonade and fruit punch.  Here's a picture:


Needless to say, I'm now a Roscoe's fan and will plan to visit next time I'm in southern California.

I also got a chance to visit Santa Monica and ate brunch at a great cafe, which was recommended to me, called The Rose Cafe & Market.  I ordered the veggie quiche:


The quiche had asparagus, leek, oven-dried tomato & fontina cheese and was served with an arugula salad.  I love quiche and this one was very good - I think I might try and re-create it at home when I feel like taking on a cooking project.  I'd definitely recommend the Rose Cafe to anyone looking for a good place to eat in Santa Monica.  They also had a bakery with some amazing-looking desserts, next time I'll try one of those.

All in all it was a great weekend - great weather, great food, great family, and great friends.

2 comments:

  1. Although real men don't each quiche, I would be interested in the other menu items :)

    ReplyDelete