Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Papalote Mexican Grill

I'm a regular watcher of Throwdown with Bobby Flay and I was delighted to see that one of his episodes featured a local restaurant, Papalote Mexican Grill.  The throwdown challenge was a burrito challenge with Bobby taking on the "Triple Threat" burrito from Papalote.  The Papalote burrito ended up winning, which is a great feat given that Bobby Flay is known for his ability to cook Mexican food.  After watching the episode, I put it on my list of places to try and I finally did so a few weeks ago.

I wasn't hungry enough to try the winning "Triple Threat" burrito (here's a link to what's in it: http://www.papalote-sf.com/menu.html - it costs $25).  Instead I tried their carne asada tacos with a side of rice.  Here's a picture of my meal:


As much as it pains me to say it, I wasn't blown away by my meal - with one AMAZING exception, their homemade salsa.  Here's a picture of the salsa:


Words cannot express how good the salsa is.  It's the right amount of heat and however they make it gives it this creamy texture that is to die for.  Although the location I went to did not sell the salsa in jars, I've heard that the other Papalote location does and I fully plan to make a trip just to buy a few jars of the tasty salsa.  So, even though I did not love my carne asade tacos and rice, the salsa more than made up the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I ran into your blog from facebook.

    Turns out I have the exact same feelings. I've had a carne asada burrito (the standard by which all burritos should be judged) and the Triple Threat (at a different visit mind you) and I came away not terribly impressed with either.

    The salsa on the other hand was absolutely fantastic. I even bought a jar for myself (I was at the location in the mission).

    ReplyDelete