Thursday, January 28, 2010

Red Velvet Cake...


By some twist of fate, I'd never actually tried red velvet cake until last year.  I remember hearing about it from the movie "Steel Magnolias" and imagined that it was white cake with some serious red food coloring added.  It wasn't until I saw a "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" episode which featured red velvet cake that I learned that it's actually a chocolate cake with red food coloring added.  This year for Christmas I was able to go home to Chicago to be with my family and was delighted when my lovely sister-in-law took on the challenge of making a red velvet cake.  I helped guide her through the frosting process (the crumb layer is even more important when you're trying to put white frosting on a very red cake) and the final product looked nearly professional.  Here's a picture of the final product, judge for yourselves:


4 comments:

  1. dang i want a slice of this cake!! why was i not there for such a glorious occasion? red velvet is one of my favs and the picture even looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. holey moley! I had no idea it was actually chocolate dyed red! I am going to have two pieces next time I go to CPK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, remember how you basically did the whole thing? Because I'm a fraidy-cat and didn't want to ruin it. :) I'm glad you taught me about the crumb layer because otherwise it would have been a very tasty mess.

    ReplyDelete