Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Land of the Rising Sun

I recently had the opportunity to spend 10 days in Tokyo Japan.  At first I was nervous that I'd have a hard time finding food I could eat, even with my adventurous palate, but I was pleasantly surprised at the variety and quality of the food I ate.  Here's a long line of pictures of the various meals I ate, hope you enjoy it:

Cold udon (wheat) noodles dipped in flavored soy sauce with a side of rice and pork tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet)
 
Table set for shabu-shabu (translates as "swish-swish" for the way you cook raw meat in the boiling water)

Raw beef and pork sections to be cooked in boiling water

Various veggies that you add to the water to flavor it

Boiling water with piece of seaweed to add flavor

Tuna sashimi lunch with homemade miso soup (look at how fresh the tuna is - I've never seen tuna that color before)
Yakitori - meat and veggies cooked over hot coals and served on skewers, this is chicken wrapped in a green leaf and cucumber with dried fish skin on top
Chicken cartilage - tried it and it tasted fine but the texture is what did me in


Chicken hearts - first time I've eaten them and I liked them

Chicken with scallion

Asparagus wrapped in bacon

Shrimp

Meatball and corn

Sashimi with vinegar dressing and veggies

Grilled lamb with veggie slaw

"French Fries" with cheese dipping sauce

Potato and rice fritter

Breaded oysters with tangy dipping sauce

Spicy fried chicken (not sure why it was served with tortilla chips)

Japanese pizza - not my favorite

Noodles in fish sauce - very tasty
Ground chicken skewers over rice with salad and miso soup
Japanese Chinese food - beef with peppers

Garlic chicken with green beans and peppers
Amazing chicken soup - starts off with crispy rice nuggets that absorb the broth and soften
Amuse bouche at the teppanyaki restaurant - raw fish with tangy sauce and pomegranate seeds

Green salad with fruit and vinaigrette

Materials for our teppanyaki meal - that's kobe beef, which I'd been dying to try in Japan

Dipping sauces for the meal - soy sauce, garlic ginger sauce and vanilla soy sauce

Teppanyaki chef cooking our meal

Cooked meal

Close-up of the kobe beef - I ordered it medium rare and it was amazing

Dessert - fruit with vanilla ice cream

Another amuse bouche - chicken with avocado and sprouts

Cheese plate

Shrimp with veggies

Japanese version of sweet potato fries

Otoro tuna sushi and sashimi

Homemade "NY-style" cheesecake
Cheese tart with mango and caramel

Street food - fresh, hot doughnut with sweet red bean inside

Salad and cheese soup at french restaurant

Beef with rice and cream sauce

There were a lot of other meals that I ate when I was in Tokyo but I didn't get pictures of them all.  Needless to say, I've mastered eating with chopsticks and really enjoyed the wide variety of good food that was available in Japan.  I hope I get to go back again soon!

2 comments:

  1. What a great culinary experience. I loved the presentation and was impressed with your photos. Ever thought of a second career?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, your photography is outstanding and the descriptions make my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete