Friday, November 5, 2010

Cuban food

I'm not quite sure how this happened but I've managed to go more than 30 years of my life without trying true Cuban cuisine.  I finally managed to solve that problem a few days ago when I ate dinner at La Bodeguita Del Medio.  The restaurant had been recommended to me by a friend and so when a few friends and I were looking for a new place to eat dinner, I suggested La Bodeguita.  It's a small restaurant serving authentic Cuban food with a great menu.  I love places that have a small menu because it makes it easy to pick something to eat and you know that every dish has to be good or it wouldn't make it onto the menu.  The group started with the empanadas, which were recommended by our waiter.  Here's a photo:


Our waiter also brought us some extra dipping sauces for our empanadas, my favorite sauce being a warm guava sauce with jalapenos. 

I ordered the Arroz Con Pollo for my main dish, which I've been dying to try since I saw the dish featured on a food special.  Here's a picture:



Although there were about 8 other dishes on the menu that I still want to try, I would absolutely order this dish again in a heartbeat.  The chicken was so tender that it fell off the bone and the tomato sauce it was coated in was amazing.  Add in the sweetness of the plaintains and the rice and each bite was perfectly balanced.

I finished off my meal with a blood orange sorbet which was ok, not spectacular.  Still, I'll be going back to this place very soon because I can't wait to explore some more Cuban dishes!

3 comments:

  1. What kind of sauce is on the empanadas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a spicy habenero sauce, provided some extra kick to the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try Cuban food as well. We should find a restaurant nearby and eat out while you're here.

    ReplyDelete